A police officer must follow all required constitutional safeguards; therefore he must have probable cause to make a valid arrest or must possess a valid arrest warrant. The only instance where an officer may not make an arrest is if:
- they do not possess the requisite probable cause;
- they are outside their jurisdiction.
When Can an Arrest be Made?
An officer can make a valid arrest of an individual if they have a valid arrest warrant. A police officer can arrest you WITHOUT an arrest warrant if they have “probable cause” – or if they personally observe an individual commit a crime. The police can use reasonable force to arrest you if you resist or in any other way try to avoid being arrested. If you are arrested, it is crucial that you remember you still have rights. These rights are afforded to all United States citizens and are protected by the U.S. Constitution.
Know your rights:
- You have the right to be free from unreasonable searches.
- You have the right to be free from unreasonable seizures.
- You have the right to remain silent.
- You have the right to a fair trial.
- You have the right to be protected by a lawyer.
If you are arrested:
- You have the right to remain silent, so ALWAYS remember to use it! Tell the police officer, in a polite manner, that you will not answer any questions without your attorney present.
- You have the absolute right to an attorney, even if you can’t afford one. Ask to speak with a lawyer before answering any and all questions posed to you. THIS IS VITAL.
Contact Us Now
If you’ve been arrested or have reason to believe you will be charged with a state or federal crime anywhere in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, including Dallas County, Collin County, Tarrant County, Denton County, & Rockwall County, call Dallas-Fort Worth Criminal Defense Attorney Carl David Ceder immediately at 214.702.CARL(2275) or at 469.2000.DWI(394). You can also e-mail Carl directly, at [email protected]; or to the office for general inquiries at [email protected]. Attorney Carl David Ceder is a knowledgeable, trained, and skilled Texas Criminal Defense Attorney who will fight any allegations alleged against you.