In Your Vehicle
If You Are Stopped in a Car
- Keep your hands visible. Do not attempt to reach for your drivers license or registration until requested.
- Upon request, show the police your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance.
- Do not consent to a search of your vehicle or your person.
- If youre suspected of drunk driving (DUI/DWI), you will be asked to take a breath-alcohol and coordination test. If you fail the tests, or if you refuse to take them, you will be arrested, your drivers license may be suspended and your car may be towed away.
- If you are arrested, your car will be subject to a search.
What To Do If Youre Stopped by the Police
- Stay calm and in control of your words, body language and emotions.
- Dont get into an argument with the police.
- Never bad-mouth a police officer.
- Remember, anything you say or do can be used against you.
- Keep your hands where the police can see them.
- Dont run.
- Dont touch any police officer.
- Dont resist even if you believe you are innocent.
- If you are arrested, ask for a lawyer immediately.
- Remember officers badge numbers, patrol car numbers, and physical descriptions.
- Write down everything you remember ASAP.
- Try to find witnesses and their names and phone numbers.
- If you are injured, take photos of the injuries as soon as possible, but make sure you get medical attention first. Ask for copies of your medical treatment files.